for 3d printing blender works great a few things to note are.
- importing/exporting stl files
- calculating normals to outside
- checking exported models in cura layer mode – sometimes its missing layers or has filled in holes.
- ruler and compass tool usage.
- tab gets you into vertex mode,
- you use ctrl tab in vertex mode to switch between vertex edge and face select.
- the hot keys to know are n and t for properties and how to add mesh modifiers like boolean.
- 5 on keypad for ortho mode
- also enable the some plugins by default for spacebar menu’s and exporting stl files
- also if your measure ments dont add up apply the scale and rotation before exporting with shift + A. there is an option to see edge lengths and it has different measurements than the ruler sometimes because of that.
- shift c centers the part shift s snaps part to center
- use spacebar -> mesh ->normals calculate to outside to make the object more uniform its easy to see faces that are wound the wrong way
- period on the keypad focuses onto the selected part
- merge verticies to simplify parts that have too many with w
very usefull app for both 3d printing, game and movie making.